Wednesday, 13 October 2010

MORE TO LIFE

(for Uncle Errol)
Life feels like this lovely dream I had
my greatest treasure by my side
Now I'm awake and everything's gone bad
That lovely dream I had has died

Now you're gone. You left me far behind
And all my joy has gone as well
Another dawn just seems so damn unkind
I've got to face this living hell

Is there more to life than all these hard times?
Is there's more to life than all this pain?
Is this some punishment for all of my wretched crimes,
come back to haunt me once again?

Oh, God please answer me one final prayer
Out of my agony I cry
If you can hear me from way over there,
just pull the plug and let me die...

The silence cut me like a knife
Apparently there's more to life

Forgive me for my lousy attitude
But I've been trying to count the cost.
I guess I oughta show more gratitude
but it seems like everything is lost

And I'm just searching for some meaning here
How do I spend this extra time?
What do I do with my remaining years?
How do I make this reason rhyme?

Is there more to life than all these hard times?
Is there's more to life than all this pain?
I don't know how to pay for all those wretched crimes,
and make them right for you again.

God please answer me one question
On my knees I'm begging you
If you detest all my transgressions,
how come you didn't kill me too?

The silence cut me like a knife
Apparently there's more to life

They say the Lord is Love and Mercy
but I think they might be wrong
Why didn't he go ahead and curse me?
He knows exactly where I belong.

But here I am, awake and breathing.
Will all the answers come some day?
It's gotten hard to keep believing
I guess I've gotta find a way.

There's more to life than all these hard times,
and all those sins I can't erase.
I know i'm guilty of the darkest crimes
But now I'm living his amazing grace

God, you could have let me die there.
But here I am still in the dance.
Now I've only got one final prayer
just help me earn this second chance.

The silence cut through all my strife
Apparently there's more to life

No comments: